Monday, July 23, 2012

TasTEA Time! Tea Forté Cucumber Mint Green Tea


The second of the free samples I've received, this is the most interesting one.  For one thing, how exactly do you incorporate cucumber into tea?  However, this tea is for youth recovery and has the added ingredient of blueberries to increase the amount of antioxidants within the tea.  

An interesting note from Alex from RateTea.com/fellow Blogger:  Tea Forte actually lists the country and region origin of the tea they use.  To me, this doesn't justify the price especially for the quality they provide, but it is pretty neat and I'd love to see other companies follow this model.  

Outsides:  The individual sachet is packaged in a plastic/cellophane material.  It's your average gold green tea color and smells slightly like vodka.  I'm assuming that this is because the blueberry and mint mixed together in such a way, but it's still pretty strange.

Insides:  Well, the mint only lends a little to the flavor.  I feel as though this tea was made only for people who want nice skin as opposed to people who want an interesting flavor.  It's not a terrible quality tea, just not what the retail price suggests it should be.  The flavor combination is interesting but is more noticeable in the smell than the taste.  There is only a hint of the mint and no other real flavor.

Overall:  Wow, today is not a good tea day.  It's not that I consider this tea bad and for all I know, this could make my 23 year old skin look like 18 year old skin, but I just judge these things on taste and this one is pretty....meh.  It's not exciting, it's only interesting because of the smell and if you want good green tea, you can get something cheaper than this.

My Rating:  Pass (unless you want more youthful skin):  Here's the site:  Tea Forte.  

2 comments:

  1. I'm very skeptical of marketing involving health claims, like something about promoting good skin. I tend to give companies a hard time about this sort of marketing because I think it is less than fully truthful.

    While I've seen a lot of evidence that diet, and to some degree, medicinally-active components of herbs or spices, can effect skin, I think most companies just slap that sort of thing on their product as a gimmick. Very few companies actually test their products (Traditional Medicinals is one that I know) and only a slightly broader number base their product blends on solid science or even on accepted traditional herbalism practices.

    Back to this tea; I absolutely love the cucumber and mint combination, but I have never seen it captured very well in an herbal tea. Both cucumber and mint lose a significant aspect of their aroma and flavor when dried. I frequently use this combination in salads, and I've even mixed it into plain yogurt, creating a really refreshing food. But I have yet to try a cucumber flavored tea that actually captured that real fresh cucumber quality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This tea makes me have a bowel movement within 5 minutes of sipping.

    ReplyDelete