Friday, July 13, 2012

K-cup reviews: Green Mountain Brew Over Ice French Vanilla Iced Coffee


Ok, I've got a confession to make:  I hate iced coffee.  It's actually not really the coffee's fault, it's because I hate it when the ice melts and makes my coffee watery.  There are solutions to this, drinking cold coffee without ice or adding ice cream instead of it, but on a hot day, I'll just order the hot equivalent (unless I'm at Panera's where I can get cold coffee through their fountain <3).   But how do you make iced coffee at home, you may ask.  Well, it's very simple.  You make a lot of coffee, put it in fridge or freezer until cold then add your stuff to it.  But now, we have the Keurig way!

I feel like I have to tell you guys how I brewed it because my mom got these K-cups and I'm sure it's a little more in-depth than just pressing a button and BINGO!  Iced coffee!  Looking at the website (also no instructions) I saw that people brewed the coffee in the cream and sugar, waited a bit then added the ice.  I brewed the coffee under the 9 oz setting and did as above.  Maybe that's wrong, but if it turns out horribly then I'll gladly take some blame for that.

Outsides:  It looks like coffee (duh) that came from a normal K-cup.  It also has a strong vanilla smell.

Insides:  After adding the ice, the coffee's still pretty strong and pretty decent except for this weird aftertaste (therefore my brewing method was not at fault).  It reminds me of those mixers you add booze to;  sweet, creamy and a little fake, but with those, at least you have the booze to get you drunk enough to not notice it. If  I magically ignore that aftertaste, I'd say it's ok but nut spectacular (it's not gonna stop me from buying iced coffees from Panera anytime soon).  The vanilla flavor is too fake and the coffee is just a tad too bitter to work well for iced.

Overall:  I think this is a gimmick.  If you want iced coffee, break out that drip brew, get some decent coffee and stick it in the refrigerator.  Don't pay a stupid amount of money for this.

My Rating:  Pass.  Here's the site:  Keurig's Brew Over Ice Subsite.

No comments:

Post a Comment