Monday, July 2, 2012

K-cup reviews: Caribou Coffee Caribou Blend

So, I honestly couldn't figure out what I wanted to review today.  It's not that I don't have tea because dear god, do I have a lot of tea and will probably review some later.  No, right now is coffee time.

I was (and currently am) writing my opinion on the Keurig brewing system and K-cups, but it basically depends on how much you want to spend on crappy coffee that gets brewed in about 30 seconds.  Right now however, I'm in a good mood.  I got my particular Keurig for free and found out later that it's a little broken.  Sometimes, it won't dispense the water it heats up, leaving me with no coffee the first few times and watered down when it does work.  Well, it did that.  Every day for about three days.  But today, it started working again and that means I can have a terrible cup of coffee!

I have not drank anything from a Caribou coffee, but I imagine that it's just like Starbucks in that the coffee is pretty bad for the price your paying for it (I know there's special blends and whatnot, but they have coffee carts all around school and believe me, it sucks).  


Outsides:  If you've never seen a K-cup, it's basically a plastic cup with foil on the top that gets poked by the machine.  They're pretty wasteful, but more on that later.  The coffee itself is dark and smells smokey.

Insides:  So, this tastes like coffee that I like to classify as "Man-coffee".  It's really smokey, kinda strong (although it said it was a medium roast) and pretty bitter.  There's touches of sweetness in this particular blend, like bittersweet chocolate, but ultimately it tastes more like coffee you've left by a campfire.  And you know what?  That's kinda appealing to me.  

I like this coffee but for a weird reason.  It's bad coffee, but slightly more endearing bad coffee than crappy coffee-cart Starbucks.  It's bitter and smokey and strong, but it also has some richness and sweetness and multidimensionality.  I don't think it tastes good but much like the oolong, it's in a sea of coffees that are either too terrible to drink or tastes like nothing (mostly the later).  It's so bad it's good, which is not going to get any of you to buy it, but is exactly what I think about it.

Overall:  I don't know.  It's in a lot of sample packs which I honestly recommend you to get even if you don't think you'll like a lot of coffees.  I can't give it a buy on its own just because it really isn't going to appeal to everyone.  But if you want a coffee that makes you feel like you're going to work in the steel mills, then this is the coffee to try.

My Rating:  Try it! (in a sample pack first to see if you like it)  Here's the site.  I've heard good things about the Obsidian, but I guess that is now the Columbia.  Also, see that $150 machine?  That's the one I think I got for free (even though it's kinda broken).

No comments:

Post a Comment