Friday, July 27, 2012

K-cup Review: Celestial Seasonings iced Raspberry Black Tea


Yes, there is another.  I just ordered a 35 K-cup Variety Pack and one day later, I got it.  It's actually a really nice pack and surprisingly only contains about 5 K-cups I've tried already, but I'll write more on that later.  Raspberry Tea can be a tricky thing.  It's a sweet and rich flavor and can easily overpower.  Most of the time, tea has either way too much or way too little of the flavor.  When it's done right, raspberry tea can be fantastic, but it usually isn't.

Outsides:  Your standard K-cup.  It makes a dark iced tea that has a slight smell of sweet raspberry.  It doesn't come off as acidic like some raspberry iced teas do.

Insides:  Okay, here are some good things.  The raspberry flavor is very nice.  It actually tastes natural; slightly sweet and fragrant with a little bit of tang.  The tea is sweetened but not very much.  It's still quite strong after you put ice in it.  But you know what ruins it?  The actual tea and the absurd bitterness that comes with it.  Here's the thing:  There's a tea technique called rinsing in which you warm the teaware and tea leaves with a bit of water for about 5 to 15 seconds (I see the time vary, but that's not important right now), dump that water out, then proceed to brew.  This gets rid of a lot of the nasty bitterness.  Well, Keurigs really should have a tea setting because that would probably help this tea a lot.  Everything else is great, but the base makes it barely drinkable.

Overall:  I don't know what to do about this drink.  You can drink it and enjoy it for the first 2 seconds, but then you have to chase it with water or something.  I'm going to give it a try/pass because maybe I'm brewing it wrong and honestly, the raspberry flavoring, sweetness and overall strength is very nice.  Make up your own mind about this.

My Rating:  Try/Pass.  This isn't the sampler I got, but I do really like this company:  Crazy Cups Tea Sampler

No comments:

Post a Comment