Friday, July 27, 2012

K-cup reviews: Caribou Coffee Obsidian


Yesterday, I ordered a 35 variety pack of K-cups that SHOULD all be different as well as a 22 pack tea sampler.  I can't really help but brag since I got those two items as well as a 2-disk copy of the Dark Knight and an HDMI cable for 27 dollars (through a mixture of me getting free prime shipping for 6 months and forgetting that I had a 12 dollar credit left over).  The company I got the variety pack from is called Crazy Cups and hopefully, they deliver on their promises.  I did get this so I'd have a bigger variety of things to review but honestly, there's a lot of K-cup flavors I want to try but the big packs are expensive.  Most of the ones I review end up being good, but a lot of times, I buy by a trusted brand and things that don't look completely gimmicky.  Hopefully, the variety pack will bring some good and bad K-cups to light.

Anyway, I've heard a lot of good things about Obsidian.  I've seen it on a lot of best K-cups lists and it's a bit strange that it's discontinued (although Caribou has a Columbian blend that I'm assuming is similar).  Obviously, it's supposed to be dark and bold, which is saying a lot because normal Caribou Blend is quite bold.  Let's see how this is.

Outsides:  Your normal K-cup.  The coffee does give off a nice scent when brewed, a mixtures of sweetness and acidity.  When in the cup, it smells like a sweet, fruity-smelling dark roast.

Insides:  So, this coffee is very robust.  It tastes almost woody and a bit smoky, but isn't as strong as the Caribou blend in terms of the barbaque taste.  There's this acidic taste at the end, but it isn't overpowering and adds a bit of depth.  The sweetness seems to be more in scent than in the flavor because the coffee is rich, dark and almost savory.  This is definitely a "man" coffee.    

Overall:  So, I like this better than the Caribou Blend and it's definitely one of the more complex coffees available in a k-cup.  It's not for everyone but if you like dark roasts or manly coffee, this is definitely worth it. 

My Rating:  Buy it!  Unfortunately, it looks like it's discontinued but if you see the Columbian Blend, that's probably the closest one to it.  


1 comment:

  1. Never tried those K-cups before. Sad that they stopped making it :(
    -Jackie

    ReplyDelete