Wednesday, November 9, 2011

TasTEA Time! Zhejiang Chunmee Green Tea



What:  Some cheap green tea I got from the Oriental Market

Where:  China

Why Should I Care:  I really love buying tea from Oriental Markets.  The quality is usually higher than what you get in a normal grocery store and the price is almost always cheaper.  I got 300g of this tea for 3-4 dollars (it was a while ago when I got it).   It's loose leaf so you need an infuser but this'll last you for a long time.

Packaging:  It's basically a big metal tin with two lids and paper surrounding the inside.  I can't really complain about that because it should be able to keep well if you store it in a cool, dry place.  Plus the designs are relatively pleasant and the tin can be used to store more tea leaves or random knick-knacks.


Non-taste senses:  The tea itself is a lovely golden color and almost clear.  If you brew it right, there should be a slight floral scent mixed in with that plant-y smell of green tea.

Taste:  So, this is going to be the first post where I go into a little detail about how you should brew certain teas.  A lot of people just boil a pot of water, throw in a few teabags and steep it for 4-5 minutes without any regard to what kind of tea it is.  Lesson 1:  You do NOT throw in the tea when the water is boiling!   It really all depends on the kind of tea but most teas have peak flavor under 100 degrees C.  Black tea is around the 90 degree range while green is closer to 80 degrees.  If the temperature is too high, the flavor oils within the tea get burned.  Why am I talking about this here?  My mom uses a coffee pot to make tea (as in she makes tea like she makes coffee, puts the tea in the coffee slot and presses go).  The first time I had this tea, it had a darker, murkier color and tasted like bitter grass.  I then brewed up a pot using a much lower temperature (I could stick my finger in the water heater without getting scalded but it was still hotter than bathwater) and it tasted really delicious.  There was a slight hint of floral and a good bit of musty grass flavor, but it wasn't bitter while still having a strong flavor.  I prefer it with sugar (and when I say sugar, I mean Ideal) but if you're not picky about your green tea, it should be fine without it.  If you really love green tea then you'll probably like it cold too.

Overall:  There's better green tea out there (which i will be reviewing).  There's also much MUCH worse green tea out there (another thing i'll be reviewing).  Just remember to be gentle with this brand and it'll reward you with a stronger, better flavor than if you boil the life out of it.  I generally just like to drink green tea by itself or with a light meal.

My Rating:  Try it (if you like green tea or have patience).  Unfortunately, there really isn't a website you can go to in order to buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment