Thursday, November 17, 2011

TasTEA Time! Yamamotoyama Genmai Cha Decaf



What:  The coolest name I've ever seen!  Also, green tea with brown rice kernels 

Where:  The company originated from Japan but the US branch is located in California

Why Should I Care:  I know most people are familiar with herbal tea and fruit tea, but tea flavored with rice?  It sounds weird to...a lot of people, but this is actually a fairly common type of tea (I've seen it in every online tea shop that sells a decent variety of Asian-style tea).  I really wanted to try this and have seen it at every Oriental Market I've been at.  This brand was relatively inexpensive (17 cents per bag) so I figured why not?

Packaging:  Individually paper/foil wrapped.



Non-taste senses:  It's slightly golder than your typical Japanese Green Tea.  The smell is strong.  I've heard that this has a similar taste to popcorn and I'd say it smells like it, but healthier.  If anything, I think it smells more like kasha or quinoa but nobody knows what those are (whole grains).

Taste:  The green tea portion is good.  Not great, but nice.  There's a nice nutty flavor to it that adds a bit of a savory taste to it.  I really like it.  I think that it would go great with winter meals or more heavily-spiced foods.  Despite the muskier, nuttier taste, sugar goes well with it although I don't know if it'd taste good iced.

Overall:  If you like green tea and want something different, try it.

My Rating:  Try it!  Here's the website.  I really want to try Hojiicha eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment