Wednesday, November 23, 2011

TasTEA Time! St. Dalfour Organic Pure Darjeeling Tea



What:  Darjeeling Tea

Where:  Darjeeling is an area in the Indian Himalayas, but this tea is a product of France

Why Should I Care:  Most of the teas I have on this blog are Ceylon or mixed, meanwhile there are several other regions that produce their own tea with its own distinctive taste.  What's more, this particular brand is organic meaning we are tasting the purest tea without any pesticides or chemicals.  It's also from France, which is a nice change from the usual countries of England, the US or random Asian countries depending on what kind of tea it is.

Packaging:  IFWS.  Another thing of note is that the bag don't use staples (they claim it changes the flavor of the tea).



Non-Taste Senses:  Slightly darker than Ceylon with a very strong "tea" aroma

Taste:  I have a confession to make.  I tried most of the tea before I review it.  Now, this isn't true in all the reviews but I'm still starting out and it's kinda hard finding tea I haven't tried.  The other reason I mentioned this is that the taste of the tea depends a lot on how you brew it and when you don't brew something right, it ends up being too bitter or doesn't have enough flavor (I judge this on the tea taste as opposed to the various flavorings).  The reason why I mentioned this is that I've tried brewing this a couple of times and it always ends up being insanely bitter.  I don't know if i'm soaking it for too long (I did it for about 3 minutes which is low for black tea) or I should rinse it longer, but it's probably twice as bitter as your normal black tea.  When you ignore the bitterness, the tea seems to be slightly sweeter than Ceylon while still retaining that same clarity but wow.  It actually was a bit cheaper than the other teas I got but now I see why.

Overall:  I'd really like to try another Darjeeling tea just to see if it's supposed to be this bitter but for now, I'm gonna tell you to pass, although I was about a half a step away from a Stay Away rating.  If you don't care about region, there are better black teas out there and if you do, I'm sure you can find something that doesn't make me want to drink something else.

My Rating:  Pass.  Well, the company seems to like making things other than tea.  Maybe that's why it isn't that good.

1 comment:

  1. It is pretty obvious on the box 1 min standard. 2 minute strong and 3 minute with milk. And the tea is not from france but sri lanka. The brand is from france

    This is one of the best twa for its cheap price.

    ReplyDelete