Tuesday, November 22, 2011

TasTEA Time! Good Earth Red Tea with Lemon




What:  Possibly one of the worst teas I've ever tasted

Where:  USA

Why Should I Care:  I mentioned in another review that I was a little apprehensive about buying Red/Rooibos tea and the reason is this tea.  I found it when going though our kitchen's tea stash (as opposed to my own personal tea stash) and this was crammed in the corner because nobody would drink it.  Red Tea is practically idiot-proof in that you can stick it without regards to temperature, steeping time or caffeine levels (it's decaf).  I've also noticed that when there are flavored varieties available, it's usually more along the lines of sweet or spicy as opposed to zesty like a lemon.  Maybe this tea improves with time?

Packaging:  Lucky for me, it's in a lovely IWFS.



Non-Taste Senses:  This particular brand is lighter than the Heath and Heather tea.  It smells lemony...and spicy.

Taste:  It's not the red tea's fault.  I didn't realize this when I was young, but it really isn't the red tea's fault.  Whoever designed this tea should have picked a flavor and stuck with it.  You have the citrus, which is slightly faded due to the passage of time but it's still zesty and a bit bitter.  Then you have the spicy herbs like chicory root that make this spicy.  Overall, this is far too busy in terms of flavor profiles and and the naturally-sweet red tea doesn't help it.  Nothing, NOTHING, will save it from milk, sugar, ice, booze, anything!

Overall:  There are some Good Earth teas that I like.  This is not one of them.  I can't imagine anyone enjoying this but if you do, you are one heck of a masochist.

My Rating:  Stay Away!  If you ever have the desire to buy something that is liquid torture, here's the site.  Like I said, I don't hate every product of theirs but be warned that Good Earth teas tend to be....busy.   Apparently, they realized that this tea was horrible too since I don't see it on the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment