Saturday, December 15, 2012

Zen Tea's Tear of Peony

Hey guys!  Anyone else see the Hobbit?  Apparently Bilbo loves a fine chamomile tea.

The reason why the label is messed up was my fault, not the company's.

 

Today, I have the last of my tender white tea gift-set, the Tear of Peony.  Floral teas used to scare me because well, who wants to drink a flower?  They still cause me a bit of apprehension because some jasmine teas are just too strong.  But the pairing of peony and delicate white tea actually seems like a nice way to balance out the floralness and give the white tea a bit more oomph.  Plus, white tea and flowers just makes you feel fancy.

  

Outsides:  This is the last tea I got in a tin, but apparently you can upgrade you 100 gram orders by adding a tin for 2 bucks!  The only ingredients in here are white tea leaves and GIANT peony petals.  I basically brewed 1 teaspoon and a half on 70 degree Celsius water for about 3 minutes, which is longer than you're supposed to but my temp was a bit low.  The tea has a bit of a yellow tint to it and it smells sweet and floral.

Insides:  This is such a lovely tea.  The white tea provides a nice, delicate base while the peony gives a strong scent and a subtle sweet taste.  It's smooth, subtle and just fancy, although you need a really delicate sweet to go with it.  I'd imagine this being good in the summer with some sweet oranges soaking in it and a bit of sugar.  

Overall:  Very nice.

My Rating:  Buy it!

Zen Tea is a Canadian tea retailer that specializes in mid to high quality tea.  They're having a 50% off sale until Dec 24th if you enter a code on their front page.  

No comments:

Post a Comment