Saturday, December 15, 2012

Zen Tea Earl Grey Creme



I've been craving Earl Grey lately, which is strange because I was never really into it before but it's become a regular part of my tea routine.  It's also a bit difficult finding a good earl grey; something that is strong enough to add milk to but not going into the soapy tasting category.  This particular Earl Grey was pretty cheap (50 grams for 2-something with the sale price) and the hint of vanilla sounded interesting.

  

Outsides:  Black tea with bergamont, vanilla and blue flowers.  I have to say, this stuff smells DIVINE!  Citrusy and spicy and sweet!  I brewed a tablespoon and a half in near boiling water for 4 minutes.  The tea is actually lighter than I expected but is that nice Ceylon color with brownish gold tones and smells sweet, spicy and citrusy.  

Insides:  First off, this is too strong for me so I had to add a bit of sugar and milk.  Second off, this is probably the most perfect cup of Earl Grey I have ever had.  The base black tea is very flavorful with little bitterness and a smooth body.  The amount of bergamont makes this tea slightly spicy and slightly citrusy, with a floral undertone here or there, but the thing that really makes this special is the vanilla, which transforms this into a relatively low calorie desert.  It's warm and fresh and uplifting and I am definately buying more of it before this sale ends.  Oh, it's good cold too although I added sugar to mine.

Overall:  I love it.  Seal of approval indeed.

My Rating:  Buy it!

Zen Tea is a Canadian online tea vendor that specializes in mid to high quality tea.  




No comments:

Post a Comment