Saturday, January 5, 2013

Teavana MateVana (mate with rooibos, chocolate and nuts)




I haven't tried mate until a few weeks ago but I like it and think it's something that I'd like to get more of eventually.  Mate is a popular South American drink that seems to be as caffinated as coffee, but has some vitamins and minerals as well as just tasting more mild, so it's a good alternative for people who don't like coffee or want to switch it up once in a while.  Plus after looking at the prices, I actually feel as though I'd be willing to buy mate from Teavana if it's good (a few are under $6 and they have more interesting flavors than Prestogeorge).

Outsides:  This blend contains mate (please don't call it mate tea, Teavana, because mate is a completely different plant), various cocos and chocolates, rooibos, various flavorings, almond pieces, cactus blossoms, sunflower and cornflower petals.  It smells chocolatey and looks very colorful.  I brewed 2 teaspoons of this in 8 oz of 95 degree water for 6 minutes.  The liquid is a dark brown color and it has a light chocolate and plant smell.

Insides:  It's not as sweet tasting as I thought it would be, which is good.  There is a definite chocolate taste with the mate acting as a decent base (it seems to give it an extra roasty flavor).  It's strange because past the scent, the liquid doesn't really taste like much, past maybe a little savory from the nuts.  Adding sugar helps bring out the sweetness and flavors.  It's not a bad chocolate drink, it just isn't the taste explosion I was hoping for.  It's also a very smooth drink.

Overall:  Not bad but not amazing.

My Rating:  Try it!

Teavana is a chain tea retailer in malls across the United States and Canada.

3 comments:

  1. Try making it a little stronger, add some sweetener of your choice, I used some Agave and some Stevia, and then I added some half and half, but not too much, and then the kicker is to add some sea salt. Amazing flavor. I also make this cold and really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic quality and a very good value price.The 100 gram packs are ideal to keep in the car and are easy to store. Will certainly buy again.
    Sugar free products

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete