Saturday, June 30, 2012

TasTEA Time! Dilmah Caramel



I'm not gonna lie, caramel is my favorite chocolate accessory.  It's not just because it's milk and sugar mixed together, caramel just is one of the ultimate comfort candies.  No, it's not healthy like almonds or doesn't even pretend to be healthy like raspberry filling, it's just pure sweetness.  But I don't review candy and a lot of times, I find cheap teas that attempt to have a desert flavor like this handle it pretty badly.

I thought it was a bit of a risk buying this caramel tea.  For one thing, what's caramel tea supposed to taste like?  Is it already sweetened?  But having tried a few Dilmah products, I was confident that they know what they're doing.

Her Majes-TEA
The Outsides:  Like a lot of their other teas, the sachets were individually packaged with a lovely picture of whatever flavor it is on the front.  The teabags have strings, if that makes any difference to you.  The tea itself is the typical Dilmah Ceylon color, goldish and slightly murky.  It smells great, kinda like some caramelised sugar you made for a sauce.  It's not as perfumy as the fruit, but that's understandable.

The Insides:  A hint of caramel is probably the best way to describe the flavor of this.  The tea itself is not sweetened but you probably would do well adding some sugar and milk.  Personally, I think they got the flavor down but the flavor they used might go better with a different, more muddled tea.  Still, it's Dilmah so the ceylon is nice and crisp, not mega top quality but I've had worse.  And you know what?  I've combined this with the peach Dilmah and strawberry to make some pretty amazing iced tea.

Overall:  I don't think this would have the same appeal as some of the fruit flavored ones in the states, but I recommend people at least to try it out.  It makes a great, low calorie indulgent and if you don't want to drink it plain, add milk or throw in a bag with your next fruit flavored iced tea or add ice cream.  The possibilities are endless!

My Rating:  Buy it!  Here's the site.


Hey guys.  First off, the l

1 comment:

  1. I tend to avoid caramel teas, but I think I would be more likely to enjoy this one if the caramel in it were subtle.

    Some teas though, like Teavivre's Bailin Gong Fu, which I recently sampled, naturally have a caramel-like quality to them. That was a pure black tea with no additives or flavorings! I'd always prefer that sort of option to something flavored.

    ReplyDelete