Tuesday, December 6, 2011

TasTEA Time! Yamamotoyama Hoji-Cha

Tommy kept on kneeding this blanket so I couldn't really get a good picture of  him...
...but I did get a cute picture of him when he fell asleep after having fun.  D'aww.


What:  Roasted Green Tea

Where:  Japan

Why Should I Care:  I really liked the Genmai Cha (tea with brown rice kernels) and I figured that this would have a similar toasty, savory taste to it.  This particular brand is easy to find and relativley cheap for the quality you're getting, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Packaging:  Despite being pretty cheap, the sachets are all foil-wrapped (it even says so on the box).  Other than that, there really isn't anything special.



Non-Taste Senses:  Despite being green tea, the color is closer to oolong and there's a little bit of a toasty smell to it.

Taste:  Although not as good as the genmai cha, this defiantly has its merits.  Instead of tasting fresh, this has a bit of a charcoal taste to it, but that adds to this savory aroma.  I think this is something that should be drunk during a meal and with a bit of sugar.  It's not that great iced, drinkable, but nothing special.

Overall:  It's worth a shot.  The quality is good and it would be nice with a light meal.  If you see it at your local oriental market and there's no genmai cha, pick it up.

My Rating:  Try it!  Here's the site.

2 comments:

  1. I love hojicha, and this was one of my first introductions to it, I cannot remember if it was the first one I tried but it may have been.

    I also think this particular example is quite good given that it is in a tea bag. And very inexpensive to boot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, you're supposed to drink it with sweet rice crackers. I enjoy Hojicha too, but it's one of those teas I can only have one cup at a time.

      Delete