Saturday, May 25, 2013

Choicest Tea Rose Black Tea

It's no secret that I'm a big fan of the three dollar tins of tea from the Asian market and I usually pick up one when I'm grocery shopping.  One of my favorites is Lotus Foods Co. in the Strip District of Pittsburgh because of its huge selection and inexpensive prices, which goes for tea as well.  Although I've heard mixed reviews about this brand (I mean, it's cheap so it's not guaranteed to be good), I've heard good things about the Rose Black and the Tieguanyin (which was out -_-).  I also picked up a Jasmine Tea which I've heard good reviews about.




Outsides:  Much like the other Choicests, the Rose Black is double sealed with metal and also has a bit of paper protecting the tea when you first open it.  There are a few rose petals scattered in the tea, but it's more uncommon than I would have hoped.  I brewed a teaspoon and a half in 8 oz of 95 degree water for 3 minutes.  The color is actually quite light for a black tea and it has a smells similar to a Keemun in that it has a note of prune to it.




Insides:  So, I'm pretty sure this is a Keemun because of the sweeter taste and the notes of dried plums and apricots.  The tea itself actually has no bitterness but the compromise is a lighter body, so don't be afraid to steep a little longer.  If you're expecting the tea to be very floral, you'll be sorely disappointed.  There is practically no taste of rose and at most, a slight fruity taste.  Still, it's a nice breakfast tea if you want something less robust and I actually think it would make a nice iced tea since it has a bit of natural sweetness.

Tilt:  The tin itself is pretty nice for a tea that cost three dollars and I'm always a fan of these scenic portraits on these tins.  I actually got this because I thought it might be a good tea for cold-brewing and honestly, it's not bad.  I'd like it to be a bit more robust, but I guess i could either blend it with something or hot brew it and then chill it.  For three bucks, I'll work with it.

Overall:  My biggest disappointment is that this tea isn't robust enough for me, but it's still not bad for what it is, plus I'm not upset at having to add more tea leaves because of the amount you get for the price.  It's not perfect, but don't be afraid of picking it up.

My Rating:  Try it!

I'm pretty sure I never had a website for Choicest Teas, but it can be found in pretty much any Asian market.

No comments:

Post a Comment