Thursday, September 13, 2012

TasTEA Time! Prestogeorge chocolate chip black tea.

Yay!  I found my cup!


So, Prestogeorge is one of our local tea stores here in Pittsburgh (which you can order online from) and yes, those are real chocolate chips in that black tea.  I saw this tea on /r/tea and that's how I got introduced to Prestogeorge, which I will eventually write about my experience but let's just say that I'm a dedicated customer.  I have to say, I've seen chocolate chai but I've never seen black tea with chocolate chips in it so props to PG for being unique.  Oh, and this was $1.70 for 2 oz so it was dirt cheap.

Outsides:  You can get your tea packaged in either a cheap, paper bag (that actually seals pretty nicely and if you don't have canisters, seems to keep well in a dark, dry place) or plastic bags.  The tea itself is dark brown.  It smells a little bitter with that warm hint of chocolate.

Insides:  Ok first off, I don't know what kind of chocolate chips they use, but they're good chocolate (yes, I totally tasted one).  They're dark chocolate and I'm pretty sure they're not Tollhouse, but I'll have to ask them the next time I go there so I can make chocolate chip cookies.  As for the tea, it's a bit bitter.  Not undrinkably bitter but something that needs a bit of added something even after rinsing.  The chocolate flavor is good, adding a hint of sweetness and a nice cocoa undertone.  This is really good with sugar and/or milk and apparently, makes a good iced tea.  

Overall:  If you want a nice desert tea, something that'll satiate your chocolate cravings without the calories or something that's just unique, give this a try.  If you don't live in the Pittsburgh area and want to try something similar to this, just add some quality dark chocolate chips to your black tea mix (Try adding a bit of cocoa powder too, possibly with an oolong base).  Unless you hate chocolate, there's not much you can lose by trying this plus it's ridiculously cheap.  

My Rating:  Try it!  Here's Prestogeorge's site.  Note that you can only buy 4 or more oz of tea, but I'll review more teas that I think everyone can enjoy!  Prestogeorge

No comments:

Post a Comment