Monday, February 18, 2013

Temple of Heaven Special Gunpowder Green Tea




I think the company for this is Shanghai Tiantian, International Trading Co. LTD.

So, I moved.  I'm now able to wake up at 7 and enjoy a cup of tea and a proper breakfast before going to school and let me tell you, it's awesome.  What's more awesome is that I finally have a teapot as opposed to constantly making tea in the Keurig.  However, I don't want to use up all of my good tea if I just want to make something to chug while doing work so that's where this tea comes in.  I got it at the Asian market for $2.75 for 8 oz(?) and was just hoping that it was drinkable.

Outsides:  The tin is actually really nicely sealed:  There's an outer lid, an inner lid and paper surrounding the tea leaves.  The tea itself is shaped like little pellets and smells a little smokey, which is what gunpowder is supposed to smell like.  I get about 4-5 cups from this teapot but like my tea strong so I put about 6-8 teaspoons worth in either my basket or giant ball infuser and let steep for about 3 minutes.  The tea gets a bit darker as it cools down, but it goes from golden to a light orange-brown and smells like your typical Chinese green tea.

Insides:  For the price I paid, I think this is actually pretty good.  The smokey flavor is a bit of an aftertaste and is nothing like a Lapsang Souchong.  I've made about 3 pots of this already and it's not very astringent, even when oversteeped for like...5 minutes.  The tea itself is sweet with a bit of an earthy flavor, but is not too complex other than the smokey aftertaste.  And honestly, it serves my purpose.

Overall:  I like it.  I was scared at first of this but if you need some cheap tea to chug while doing work, this'll do.

My Rating:  Try it!

This was the only tea I found from this brand and I didn't find a website.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Dominika, we have a small coffee/tea company, I would love to send you some sample of green/black tea from a farm in India if you were willing to review them on your site? please let me know email us at sales@deckancoffee.com.
    Thanks
    deckancoffee.com

    ReplyDelete